Friday 31 May 2013

The Sasquatch Awards (2013)

Okay folks- it's been a week since the festival began, I've slept off my hangover and the events of the weekend are finally starting to come back to me so here is my review of the best, worst, and WTF moments of Sasquatch 2013!

I am no stranger to multi-day music festivals but this one was on another level entirely: 4 consecutive nights of non-stop music on 5 different stages overlooking one of the most beautiful natural landscapes on the planet. I don't think I could accurately describe in words how amazing this festival is. Camping with 30,000 music lovers on top of that and you have something that can only be described as one hell of a long weekend. Coachella may be grander in both the line-up and general magnitude of the event, but Sasquatch successfully balances the epic nature of a music festival of this degree with the typical down-to-earth nature of the Pacific Northwest. How can I make such a bold statement? Let's put this in perspective: at Coachella, one can very comfortably survive the entire day in shorts, a tank top, and sandals. In fact, there is a plethora of pool parties which one can attend prior to heading to the festival grounds (if you even decide to leave the party at all...). There is no sense of "roughing it" in the warm California sun. Sasquatch attendees, on a daily basis, deal with boiling hot sun, pouring rain (did I see hail at one point?), gusting winds, and freezing cold nights. So stake down your tent as hard as you can, slather on the sunscreen, and pack your bag for every kind of weather you can think of before heading to the festival grounds. But, being the hardy Northwest folks we are, preparedness is never an issue and it is a widespread opinion that a concert is just as good (and sometimes better) in the rain as it is the sun.

Enough of my recapping- if you are reading this, chances are you were there and are looking to either (a) see how I ranked the music, or (b) use this post to help you remember all the shows you forgot you watched. Well here you go: The Sasquatch Awards! Created and awarded by yours truly.

Best Stage Presence:
Macklemore!

What a front man! There were costume changes (overheard in the crowd: "He looks like a wizard!"), props, a pedestal that came up from the stage and more! It was exciting to watch to say the least.

Worst Dancing:
Father John Misty

You, sir, are an awkward dancer. Or maybe it was just that your music doesn't particularly lend itself too well to dancing. Either way, cease and desist. For your own sake.

Best Rock Act:
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club!

Were there any other true rock acts....?

Greatest Crowd Increase:
Bloc Party!

When Bloc Party started, the crowd on the ground was relatively small and everyone on the hill was sitting down. By the end, the crowd had at least doubled and there was some pretty significant dance parties happening on the hill. So congrats to Bloc Party! I bet you made some new fans that day!

Greatest Crowd Decrease:
Sigur Rós

It pains me to write this as I am a huge Sigur Rós fan but I couldn't help but notice how many people left during this set. In their defence, it was absolutely FREEZING on that hill during their performance. Not to mention that the Tame Impala set was bumped to the Yeti stage during this show so many people probably abandoned the unprotected, wind-swept hill for the warmth of the crowd over there. C'est la vie.

Biggest Mosh Pit:
The Dropkick Murphys!

The 90's are back! This was possibly one of the most fun acts to be a part of the crowd on the ground. I haven't seen a good mosh pit since I used to go to Battle of the Bands when I was 14. Ah memories. Thanks Dropkick Murphys- good times were had by all.

Biggest Crowd for a Non-Headliner:
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros!

Ground was packed, hill was packed, everyone was dancing and singing. Two thumbs up.

Best Crowd in General:
Mumford & Sons!

I wanted to call this category "Best Crowd I've Ever Been In, Ever." Listen. I am from Canada- country of ridiculously ludicrous politeness. I ride a full bus to work every morning and when a seat is vacated, no one will take it because they don't want to be "the jerk that took the seat." No one eats the last chip in the bowl and "sorry" is as common and mindless as breathing. But I was absolutely blown away by the crowd etiquette for Mumford. We've all struggled through concerts where we are pushed, shoved, stepped on, and squished to the point of choking and it is not pleasant. On the ground for Mumford & Sons, relatively near the front, this is exactly what I thought I was getting into. To my absolute surprise, no one was pushing, no one was forcing their way to the front, my friends and I had room to dance, and everyone in crowd seemed to be having and equally awesome time despite the thousands of people who were standing there watching too. I will remember that show for the rest of my life and henceforth, every crowd I am in will seem just a little bit worse.

Best Electronic Set:
The Presets!

As voted by my friends in attendance as I sadly missed out. 

Biggest "What?!?!" Moment of the Festival:
Empire of the Sun!

No seriously- WHAT?! Did you know they look like that? Because I sure didn't. It was like a Daft Punk music video crossed with someone's LSD nightmare. Don't get me wrong, it was fun, just... strange.


Best Set Design:
The Lumineers!

I liked your chandeliers and the general folk-y look of your set. While we're on the subject of The Lumineers, I'd like to say that, as a fan, I really enjoyed the show. In a smaller venue though, going out into the crowd would probably work better. As it was, people were starting to lose interest during the time it took you to get out into the crowd and back. Everyone who wasn't in your immediate vicinity also had a hard time seeing and hearing you. Other than that, très bon.

Best Guitar Playing:
It's a toss up between Elvis Costello and The Tallest Man on Earth

Two very different styles, two very different genres. I'll give it to Elvis Costello because he is a music veteran that did not by any means generate the crowd that he deserved.

Biggest Let-Down:
Azaelia Banks

No show, no love.

Honourable Mentions:
Andrew Bird, Divine Fits, Arctic Monkeys, Rusko, The Postal Service, Radical Face

My biggest regrets of the weekend:
Missing Alt-J, The Presets, Horse Feathers, Elliott BROOD, The Barr Brothers, Tame Impala, Reignwolf


Were you out there digging Sasquatch Music festival? Leave your thoughts/memories/responses/ awards of your own in the comments!

Until next year, Sasquatch!

2 comments:

  1. It seems like you missed all the amazing, myriad rap perfomances Sasquatch had! Killer Mike was arguably the best act the entire weekend, El-P was amazing, Deathgrips were electrifying, and the smaller acts like Nacho Picasso and Grieves were also (albeit a personal preference) some of the best shows of the entire event!

    Good listings, but maybe next year check out some of the other music stylings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I definitely felt like I missed out on the smaller acts. Thanks for the tip! I'll be better organized about getting around to the smaller stages next year.

      And thanks for reading!

      Delete